Howmet Aerospace’s Environmental Social and Governance Report
Howmet Aerospace, a global aerospace company with eight locations in Ohio alone, released its 2020 Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Report. The report highlights the Company’s commitment and approach to sustainability as well as detailed results against its key metrics, which are designed to drive significant positive impacts for its stakeholders and surrounding communities.
“For Howmet Aerospace, ESG is about generating meaningful change for a more sustainable future through proprietary technologies that help the aerospace and commercial transportation industries reduce fuel consumption and cut carbon emissions,” said John C. Plant, Howmet Aerospace Executive Chairman and Co-Chief Executive Officer. “Social concerns remained an important issue during 2020 and we reaffirmed our commitment to employee and community safety in light of the pandemic as well as focused on diversity, equity and inclusion.”
The report was prepared in alignment with guidance from the Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) and standards from the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) and is available on the ESG area of the Company’s website (https://www.howmet.com/environmental-social-governance/).
Among highlights in the ESG Report:
- 8 million Howmet Aerospace BobTail® lockbolts were used to assemble wind turbines in North America and Europe, representing a 33 percent increase over 2019 usage due to growth in the industry and greater use and adoption of our fasteners across European and North American installations.
- 115 million Howmet Aerospace BobTail® lockbolts and 25 million Howmet Aerospace BOM® blind fasteners were used to assemble 6.9 gigawatts of solar arrays, diverting 170,000 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions.
- The Howmet Aerospace Foundation approved more than $5.2 million in STEM focused-grants and disbursed more than $2.3 million to nonprofit organizations in communities around the world.
- A 19.2 percent decrease in GHG emissions and 17 percent decline in energy consumption compared to 2019.
- Zero employee and contractor fatalities.
- A 21 percent reduction in total recordable incidents and a 4 percent decline in days away, restricted and transfer rate compared to 2019.
- 88 percent of the Company’s key suppliers have sustainability programs considered leading or active.
About Howmet Aerospace
Howmet Aerospace Inc., headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is a leading global provider of advanced engineered solutions for the aerospace and transportation industries. The Company’s primary businesses focus on jet engine components, aerospace fastening systems, and titanium structural parts necessary for mission-critical performance and efficiency in aerospace and defense applications, as well as forged wheels for commercial transportation. With nearly 1,150 granted and pending patents, the Company’s differentiated technologies enable lighter, more fuel-efficient aircraft to operate with a lower carbon footprint. For more information, visit www.howmet.com. Follow: LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube.
*This adapted article originally appeared in Yahoo Finance